Intellectual Nourishment

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gifts

What shall we give the children?
Christmas is almost here.
Toys and games and playthings,
As we do every year?

Yes, for the magic of toyland,
Is part of the Yuletide lore
To gladden the heart of childhood,
But I shall give something more.

I shall give them more patience,
A more sympathetic ear,
A little more time for laughter,
Or tenderly dry a tear.

I shall take time to teach them
The joy of doing some task,
I'll try to find time to answer
More of the questions they ask.

Time to read books together,
And to take long walks in the sun,
Time for the bedtime story
After the day is done.

I shall give these to my children,
Weaving a closer tie.
Knitting our lives together
With gifts that money can't buy.

-Richardson-

No comments: